Camponata recipe~ for your eggplant harvest~ and dinner for me last night...


I know the summer harvest in your backyard garden might just be brimming with eggplant by now~ word has it mine is, (my family at home gives me a full garden report when we skype at night)...since I am here in Italy for the summer, and mostly everything I see is local and seasonal, eggplants are starting to pop up at every green grocer on every street corner here.

So last night I poured myself a lovely rose wine 
(bought from Eataly), pink , crisp and fantastic after a day at the beach it tasted amazing...and cooked up a batch of camponata. One of my stand by favorite appetizers, I even impressed myself with this batch of pure creamy, spicy, salty, eggplant-y wonderfulness....

Here is the recipe, * note I like to serve mine with thin crackers or flat bread, along with arugula, and baby grape tomatoes, this all gets plated and topped with a touch of grated Parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of the best extra virgin olive oil.

Eggplant Camponata

Ingredients~




  • 5 tablespoons olive oil




  • 1 1 1/2-pound eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes




  • 1 medium onion, cubed




  • 4 large garlic cloves, chopped




  • 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings in juice




  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar




  • 2 tablespoons drained capers




  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil




  • Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Classic-Caponata-232539#ixzz0u86np8hx


  • 5 tablespoons olive oil




  • 1 1 1/2-pound eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes




  • 1 medium onion, cubed




  • 4 large garlic cloves, chopped




  • 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings in juice




  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar




  • 2 tablespoons drained capers




  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil




  • Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Classic-Caponata-232539#ixzz0u86np8hx
    1/4 cup Olive oil
    1 small red onion chopped fine
    4 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped coarse
    4 cups cubed (1 inch cubes) eggplant, with skin
    1 cup  chopped tomatoes (rough chop)
    1 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 cup capers
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup tomato sauce from the jar is fine, unless you have homemade hanging around! 
    ( I like to use pre made Arrabbiata sauce, and no pepper flakes)
    1 teaspoon pepper flakes (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste
    Parmesan cheese for serving.
    Crispy crackers, or flat bread...

    Directions~

    Saute chopped onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent, add all ingredients *with exception of the Parmesan cheese. Cover, check and stir frequently so the Camponata does not stick.
    Saute on low heat until combined and soft, about 30-40 minutes.






    I like to serve this as a warm appetizer on crisp crackers and plate with fresh arugula and tomatoes.
    Enjoy and share this with friends, may I suggest a crisp and cold white or sparking wine along side this wonderful dish.




    People always ask if the food in the food photography I work on is real.....



    why yes it is...

    for more great flat bread suggestions...  check out my flat bread party~ story in the This month's(August 2010)of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine, on new stands now...